Thursday 19 March 2009

Fantastic Eye Opening Disibility Training!

I thought that I would write a bit about the training I had today. I found it a very refreshing and eye opening session and would suggest it to any one who works in the public or someone who would like to have more understanding in this area.

The 4hour training was called BSL communication and disability training which dealt with basic understanding such as what we understood by the word disability, the actual disability discrimination act's definition and global disability statistics which really shocked me as apparently there are at least 650 million disabled people in the world.

Also we touched on visual impairment which included trying on some glasses to help you understand the different types of impairment that people can have such as someone with cataracts, diabetic retinopathy, tunnel vision and more.

We then moved on to look at people with limited mobility, hearing impairment including deafness, guide dogs, learning disabilities and more, looking at ways that we as local services could improve access and understanding etc... This was very thought provoking and made us all more aware of what might be needed when holding events, running workshops and groups etc...

Then we learnt about hidden disability which if I am honest, have never heard of before although I have heard of the types of problems included in this area. These hidden disabilities include things like asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, mental health issues, autism, ADHD and more.

Anyhow I enjoyed the training very much which as I said before was very thought provoking and would recommend it to any one interested in this area or offering a service to the public etc...

To find out more about Moore Communications and what they could offer you, your business or service please visit Moore Communications Website who can offer professional training facilities and British Sign Language (BSL) Communication Support to all of its customers.

Hope you may find this helpfull! :0)

2 comments:

  1. Cheers for this article and blog cos I is disabled I am on crutches and often in a wheelchair and its strange when I am in the wheelchair people who dont know me will talk to my wife rather than me odd but true

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Don!

    The training really opened our eyes as sometimes we just don't realise the effects our actions (that are sometimes just not thought about enough) can cause to other people like yourself.

    I have a nephew who is 8years old and suffers with Cerabral Palsey. He has a really cool wheelchair he wizzes about on and enjoys his freedom from this. I do hope that as he becomes older people will see him for who he is and talk to him directly instead of about him to his mum, as he can have such great conversations when you get to know him just like any other young boy.

    I am glad you like this article and hope others will take the opportunity to learn more about this area.

    Take Care! Nikki - MADU

    ReplyDelete